The Engineer I – Design invents, designs, documents, builds and tests new solutions for assigned industry using CAD tools. This role supports design in production, sales, service, troubleshooting and updating. This position is also responsible for analyzing and providing realistic recommendations on structural components to ensure that design meets the design goals and customer needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Exhibit the Vermeer characteristics of caring culture, demonstrating agility, customer focused and stewardship while modeling the associated behaviors.
- Design and detail purchased items, machining, weld and assembly prints using SolidWorks software for performance, reliability, manufacturability, cost effectiveness and safety.
- Support, supervise and assist Engineering Technicians with all aspects of building and testing prototypes.
- Analyze production issues and create solutions.
- Calculate unknown loading and directions where required from data and assumptions.
- Develop bill of materials (BOM).
- Instruct other users on SolidWorks, PDMWorks, ECN tools and best practices.
Education and/or Experience
- 4-year college degree in Mechanical, Industrial, Agriculture or Electrical Engineering.
- Or other 2 or 4-year college degree with a minimum of 4 years related experience.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Ability to identify the root cause of manufactured or purchased component failures.
- Knowledge in the FEA, hydraulics, electronics, engine systems, statistics, strength of materials, durability and serviceability of products.
- Ability to create robust design, identify changes early in the design progress and to recognize design commonality.
- Ability to provide informative and professional assistance when working with the public/customers and co-workers and maintain positive interpersonal relationships which encourage openness with customers and peers.
- Ability to operate simple mechanics tools and wrenches, assembly hand tools, drill press, lathe, band saw and assembly power tools.
- Demonstration of good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively manage time and resources to meet the needs and schedules of internal customers and respond immediately to production questions and crisis with solutions.
- Ability to maintain a high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to understand material strengths, fatigue strength, and manufacturability to ensure that the right configuration and materials are utilized.
- Ability to develop a test plan, submit a detailed corporate test request, be present during execution of the test, and review/process test data, providing meaningful results.
Certificates, Licenses, Registration
- P.E. certificate, Fundamentals of Engineering Examination, or E.I.T and/or equivalent preferred.
- Up to 15% domestic and/or international travel by car or plane may be required.
- ONSITE: A team member’s day-to-day work is best done on a Vermeer campus. If work content can be occasionally completed at an offsite location, discuss potential arrangements with your manager.
Equal Opportunity Employer
At Vermeer Corporation, we believe in the value of your unique identity, background, and experiences. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or any other status protected by the law. Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation due to a disability at any stage of the employment application process should contact Team Member Solutions at (641) 621-8767 or at email@example.com.
Interested? We’d love to get to know you.